What do I do if my income and assets are over the Medicaid limit?

Florida residents may be aware that Medicaid is a federal health care program that offers wide-ranging options for low-income individuals of any age. There are different programs, such as institutional or nursing home Medicaid, home based Medicaid, and regular Medicaid for the aged and disabled.

Regardless of which plan one plans to choose, Medicaid planning can go a long way in ensure one is eligible for the plan needed. This gives those who are over the age of 65 and financially ineligible for Medicaid to find other ways to qualify.

Qualified income trust

Excess income can be put into a trust by those who are seeking long-term care in a nursing home or in a community setting. Money may be deposited monthly into a QIT to bring one’s income down to the income limit prescribed by Medicaid.

The legal control of the trust will be granted to a trustee and the income can only be used for specific purposes, such as medical bills and personal needs. A qualified income trust is irrevocable. The remaining money must be given to the state of Florida upon the death of the Medicaid recipient.

Medically needy pathway

Those who are seeking regular Medicaid and have a high income but have equally high medical bills can still qualify for Medicaid. Their excess income is spent down to cover one’s bills including healthcare insurance costs. After the spend down to the Medicaid eligibility limit, Medicaid kicks in for the rest of the month.

When engaging in Medicaid planning, it is important to understand how one’s income and assets play a role in eligibility. Consulting an experienced attorney may be one way to ensure the complicated process can go smoothly.

5 Tips to Protect Your Savings from the Nursing Home

5 Tips to Protect Your Savings from the Nursing Home

Learn how to get care you or a loved one needs without losing everything. 

Download our FREE guide.

It's time to protect yourself & those you love.

Whether you are preparing for future long-term care needs, are seeking Veteran’s Benefits, or have a loved one entering or already in a nursing home, we are ready to assist you.

Take your first step by contacting us at (954) 866-1055 today.

Elder Lawyers Coral Springs
Skip to content